queue tools

Discussions about blocks in ExtendSim's libraries other than the ones listed above
scamatorul
First Name:Valentin
Last Name:Pavel
queue tools

Post by scamatorul » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:02 pm

Hey all,

I appreciate anyone setting me straight on this issue.

Here is the scenario, I need to carry over work in progress from one simulation to the other. I came up with the following logic:

1. Store the work in progress into a global array at the end of the simulation run ( this works)
2. Initialize the queue using queue tools, where queue tools takes its value from the global array I defined. Now this part just does not seem to work. I do not get the same value in the queue as I store in the global array even though I use the same global array.

If anyone can help on this I would really appreciate it.

davek
First Name:Dave
Last Name:Krahl

Re: queue tools

Post by davek » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:34 am

That's an interesting idea. Is this to deal with system warm-up issues, or is it something else.

I have attached a model that initializes the queue with the contents of another queue at the end of the simulation. Let me know if you have any questions.

Dave Krahl
Kromite LLC
Attachments
Initialize Queue.mox
Initializes a queue with the contents of the queue at the end of the previous run.
(365.88KiB)Downloaded 291 times

scamatorul
First Name:Valentin
Last Name:Pavel

Post by scamatorul » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:10 am

Mr. Krahl,

Thank you for your feedback.

This is not to deal with warm up issues, it has to do with a process where the work that enters the system does not get cleaned out at the end of the run. For example a car enters the simulation to add paint to it, but at the end of the run, the car still remains in the system as the work on it is not complete, so I have to start the next run with the car in the queue.

So I took a look at your model and it looks like you are getting the arrival times.
Then you are storing them in an array.
And then load the queue length with the contents of the array.

But the value it loads the queue with is not the last value in the array

I have the same problem with the one I built, it does the calculation and the storage correctly but the initiation of the queue is not.

I attached the model so you can take a look

V/R Valentin Pavel
Attachments
testing_queue_tools.mox
queue tools
(271.11KiB)Downloaded 272 times

davek
First Name:Dave
Last Name:Krahl

Post by davek » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:10 pm

In the model that I sent there is one item initialized in the queue for each item in the array. Did you want the block to work in a different way? This is how is was designed to work. You need to have one column in the global array for each user-defined attribute, a column for the item quantity and a column for the item priority. In my example, there are 3 columns. I have one user defined attribute (arrival) and I set the priority and item quantity to 1. The Item quantity is especially important because if you set that to a zero or blank, then the queue will destroy the item. The item quantity is the number of items that a single item represents. When an item gets to a queue, the item quantity is use to duplicate the item. If you set the item quantity to 0, then the item is destroyed.

Dave Krahl
Kromite LLC