Block Placement

Discussions involving programming in ExtendSim.
kimmamula
First Name:Kim
Block Placement

Post by kimmamula » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:52 am

I have a model in which I need to show a delay for traveling to another location. I am using a Transport block with a connector that calculates move time based on a property. I cannot figure out why, but the items are getting tied up in this transport block. I thought maybe resources were not being released, but the blocks are in place for it and they are. If I replace that transport block (infinite capacity) with an Activity block (infinite capacity)using the same connector for delay time, there is no hold up and all goes through. And, if I keep the Transport Block but also add a Queue block after it, everything goes through. So why is it hanging up if I only have a Transport block? In reading the manual, it says that a Transport or Activity block can be used to model transportation time, but these blocks obviously give 2 different results (unless a queue block is added after the Transport block). Why is this? I thought it had to do with block type (residence v passing v decision) but they are both resident blocks and so I would think handled the same. I want to make sure I am using the appropriate blocks in this model. Does anyone know why there is a difference? And by the way, I am using the same Seed for each run to make sure I am comparing what would be the same results.

ceciledamiron
First Name:Cecile
Last Name:Damiron

Re: Block Placement

Post by ceciledamiron » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:04 pm

Can you please send your model at support@extendSim.com attention Cecile?

Also if the only thing you need to do is applying a delay to items to simulate a transportation I would advise to use the activity block. The transport block has more overhead than the activity block, so unless you need the Transport block for other specificity the transport block provides I would use the Activity block.

I will look at the reason of the differences of behavior between using the transport block and the activity block.

Sincerely,

Cecile