Deploy ExtendSim to multiple team members through native installation on their devices with an ExtendSim Floating license. This cost-effective distribution of ExtendSim reduces per-user license cost via shared, concurrent-user deployment restricted to a specified maximum number (you choose how many) across any number of Client machines. It is Client/Server based and users can check out ExtendSim from the network for remote use.
Installing & Activating a Floating License
ExtendSim Floating licenses are concurrent-user Client/Server configurations that can be self-installed and automatically activated over the internet (or processed manually if internet activation is not available). In short, there are 2 components to install when installing an ExtendSim Floating license:
- License Manager on a Server
- ExtendSim application and files on Client devices
Follow the detailed instructions for installing and activating your ExtendSim Floating License:
Things to know about Floating Licenses
(also see System Requirements)
- The ExtendSim 10 Floating license is used for the deployment of ExtendSim Pro, DE, CP, or Analysis RunTime (ART) products to multiple users through native installation of ExtendSim on multiple devices.
- This is a concurrent-user Client/Server configuration that:
- Is managed by a License Manager (RLM.exe) that is installed on a Server, runs as a Service, and regulates the number of concurrent users by monitoring Client license requests transmitted through TCP/IP ports.
- Allows the ExtendSim application and files to be installed on any number of Client devices anywhere as long as they can communicate with the License Manager over a local or wide-area network.
- And, unless disabled at customer request prior to activation, permits Client devices to use a checked out (roaming) license of ExtendSim for up to 30 days while disconnected from the network.
- The Floating license requires two stages of activation.
- The License Manager is activated using a numeric Activation Key that is specific for the ExtendSim 10 product and the number of licensed concurrent users. License Manager activation can be accomplished automatically* over the internet or, if automatic activation is not supported, processed manually in-house.
- The ExtendSim files on Client devices get activated using a copy of the license file (extendsim.lic) that is generated when the License Manager is activated.
Reactivating a Floating License of ExtendSim 10
When there is a change to your license, such as:
- The Maintenance & Support Plan (MSP) has been renewed.
- The License Manager has been moved to a new Server.
- There is a change to the number of concurrent users.
- The maximum number of Reliability Event Cycles has been increased.
- The license is being upgraded to a newer release of ExtendSim (e.g. from 10.x to 11.x).
- Migrating to a different ExtendSim product (e.g. from DE to Pro).
- Another ExtendSim product is being added to the license.
...you will need to reactivate it. It's quick and easy.
Note: You do not need to reactivate if you're updating Client devices to an incremental release of ExtendSim (e.g. from 10.x to 10.y).
Managing a Floating License
(Unless otherwise noted, see Frequently Asked Questions • Floating Licenses for more details.)
Roaming - aka checking ExtendSim Client Licenses in and out
Take ExtendSim to go! Check out a roaming license with a simple menu command - Help > Floating License > Check Out a Floating License. Use that roaming license on a laptop when not connected to the network - bring it to a customer meeting, use it off-site, take it on vacation with you, or however you may want to use it. While that roaming license is Checked Out, the License Manager will decrement the number of concurrent users on the network by one until the license is checked back in or after a period of 30 days since check out. Note: The roaming option can be disabled at customer request prior to activating a Floating License.
Renewing the Maintenance & Support Plan
As the renewal date for the Floating License’s Maintenance and Support Plan (MSP) nears, ExtendSim will occasionally remind you with a message upon launch (you can always check the ExtendSim startup screen to see the renewal date). Once you've renewed the MSP, you will need to reactivate the License Manager on the Server. For details on reactivating your License Manager after renewing, see Reactivating • Floating Licenses.
Installing ExtendSim on Client devices
Install ExtendSim on as many devices as you want as long as it can communicate with the License Manager. Download the appropriate installer of the Trial version of ExtendSim 10 for the product you purchased. Activate it using the extendsim.lic file generated by the License Manager's activation. For more details, see Installing & Activating • Floating Licenses.
Updating ExtendSim on Client devices
When a new release of ExtendSim becomes available (e.g. ExtendSim 10.0.8, etc.), go to Update to the Latest ExtendSim Release and follow the instructions for Updating to ExtendSim 10.0.x.
Uninstalling a Client License of ExtendSim
Why would you want to do that? Maybe you're selling your computer, changing jobs, who knows. Just be sure to properly uninstall ExtendSim from the Client device. It's a 3-step process:
- Use the Windows Settings > Apps and Features and choose to Uninstall ExtendSim
- Delete the folder Documents/ExtendSim
- Delete the folder Program Files/ExtendSim
Moving a License Manager
You can't directly "move" the License Manager from one Server to another, but it can be done. Contact us first to let us know you want to change Servers. We will revoke the current license so you can activate on the new Server. Then uninstall the License Manager from the original server following the instructions in Frequently Asked Questions • Floating Licenses.