Activating, Reactivating, & Revoking ExtendSim
Activating, Reactivating, & Revoking ExtendSim
Activation is usually accomplished automatically and within seconds via the internet.
Sometimes that process does not work as intended. The main problems activating an Individual license are:
- Your device is not allowed access to the internet or the internet is down. In this case, you need to manually activate ExtendSim. Please see Installing & Activating an ExtendSim 10 Individual License.
- Your device has an internet connection, but you get an error message indicating that activation cannot be completed. Security features in Windows operating systems (especially since Windows 10), and virus protection applications in general, can sometimes interfere. To allow ExtendSim through the firewall:
- Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security (on left hand side).
- Under Protection Areas, select Firewall & Network Protection and Allow an app through the firewall.
- Then click the Change Settings and Allow another app buttons.
- Browse to ExtendSim 10 and click Open. In the dialog that appears, click Add.
- Try activating ExtendSim again.
- If automatic activation isn't allowed, the error message has instructions for performing a manual activation.
Manual activation bypasses your device's lack of internet access or its blocking of communication (via firewalls or the like). Secured or hardened locations require manual activation; other locations might need manual activation due to system configuration.
To do a manual activation of an Individual license, the ExtendSim Activation Info.txt file (or the equivalent information) must be transmitted to Sales@ExtendSim.com. A parsed version of the 5 lines of information in that text file is shown here:
- The first line is whichever ExtendSim product you purchased.
- The user name, user email address, company name, and results of checking the Notify me box are taken from what is entered in the Activation Dialog. (The user name and company also show up on the ExtendSim startup screen after activation.) The CountryCode is a number identifying which part of the world the license was activated from. The W identifies the activated device as using a Windows operating system.
- The set of numbers in the third line is the Activation Key.
- The rehost info is a long number that the license management software (RLM) generates and assigns to this license; that number is encrypted and stored in the Reprise folder on the device. It stays with the license even if the license is moved to another device.
- The reference number is some number specific to the device ExtendSim is currently installed on, such as the serial number of the disk.
For instructions for manually activating ExtendSim, please see Installing & Activating • Individual Licenses.
Moving an Individual or Node-Locked license of ExtendSim from one device to another works the same as for most applications.
- First, make copies of your ExtendSim models, any custom blocks, etc.
- Second, remove the license from the previous device using the Help > Revoke License Activation command.
- Then, uninstall ExtendSim from the first device:
- Use the Windows Settings > Apps and Features to uninstall ExtendSim.
- Then, delete the two folders:
- Program Files\ExtendSim
- Now, install ExtendSim on the new device by downloading the appropriate Trial version.
- Paste your model files, etc. from the previous device to the appropriate locations at new installation of ExtendSim.
- Launch ExtendSim on the new device and activate it using the same Activation Key you used for the first installation. (If you couldn't revoke the license activation on the previous device, you will get an error message stating your Activation Key is already in use on another device. In this case, contact the ExtendSim Team)
For complete installation instructions, see Frequently Asked Questions • Individual & Node-Locked Licenses.
Note: If you're running ExtendSim on a Client device of an ExtendSim Floating license, the procedure is different. After, making copies of your ExtendSim models, any custom blocks, etc., please follow these instructions to Uninstall ExtendSim from a Client device.
This message can occur when you are trying to activate/reactivate/revoke an Individual license of ExtendSim.
It indicates that there is a basic issue (network initialization failure, unable to read or write, etc.) that is preventing the automatic process. In this case, a manual process is required and you should get a second error message that allows you to generate a text file to send to Sales@ExtendSim.com.
If you don't get that second error message, temporarily disconnect from the network, launch ExtendSim, and try again. That will force ExtendSim to present a dialog for generating a text file for a manual process. After the text file is generated (by default it will be placed at the top of your Documents folder), reconnect to the internet and email the text file to Sales@ExtendSim.com.